Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

Advice for Young Coaches

I am a young coach (28) and I have learned many valuable lessons from people who are much wiser than myself. I have been blessed to be able to work under some really smart and wise coaches who have poured their knowledge into me because they are great teachers! My advice for young coaches would be to listen to the older coaches who have been in the game for a long time and glean wisdom from them. 

We live in an era where young people think older / wiser people are outdated and out of touch with reality. When you turn on the TV or watch a movie you see authority figures being mocked, ridiculed and portrayed as if they are idiots. Watch one episode of Family Guy or the Simpsons and you will get my point.

But, if we are wise, we will listen to those who have more life experience and learn from their successes and failures. Football is a simple game that has been around for a long time, so there are not any new ideas.. just repackaged ideas. Therefore, please do not think you are the next football guru because you are doing something "someone has never done before". Someone probably has done it before and if you are doing something no one else does.. you probably aren't very good and will get exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment