Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

3-3-5 Defense

When I first became a defensive coordinator I used the 3-3 stack and it worked very well (see previous post), but I wanted to learn other defenses because I like to learn. So, for the last couple of years I have used the 3-4 and the 4-2-5 with good success! The 3-4 and the 4-2-5 are great defenses and I may run them in future years, but this year I am going back to the 3-3 stack for a number of reasons.

The first reason is because we have 3-3 personnel!!!! I believe that you must mold your defense around your personnel. As a DC, I must put my players in a position to make plays, and the 3-3 gives us the ability to put our best players on the field in a position that maximizes their ability.

The second reason is because the 3-3 is a SIMPLE defense that appears COMPLEX to an offense. The pre - snap look is identical on almost every snap, but we can bring 3,4,5 or 6 and play cover 3, cover 1 or cover 0 using the same pre - snap look.

Disguise is the KEY!!!
The third reason is because I have had the privilege to talk to some great defensive minds that run the 3-3. They have been very gracious to me and allowed me access to all of their cut - ups and playbooks. I would not be able to run the 3-3 without the help of these men (Dean Fabrizio and Sean Thom) and I am forever grateful to them! 

Thank you for reading my blog and I pray that the LORD will bless you as you go through this season. As always, please feel free to email me (zach.davis24@gmail.com) at anytime to talk ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment