Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Team First

I can vividly remember my college head coach, Danny Rocco, saying these words: "Your most subconscious thought must be of the team." Meaning, you should put the team first and yourself second. When I was a Sophomore at Liberty, that did not make much sense to me. I thought it was all about me! I transferred from East Carolina University to Liberty because I wanted to play and earn individual honors. I was a very selfish player that was disrespectful to my coaches and teammates during my sophomore year, but by the GRACE of GOD that began to change over the last two years of college. I split playing time during my sophomore and junior years at Liberty and got the chance to start at left tackle my senior year. I played all 5 positions on the offensive line and on a couple of occasions I played two positions in a single game!! We finished 10-2 my senior year (2008), won the Big South Conference and finished the season ranked #14 in the FCS.

As I look back on my playing career, I can see God's providence in my life. If I would have started from my sophomore and junior year, I would still be a very arrogant and selfish person. Now, I am still a wretched, black - hearted sinner that is only saved by the GRACE of God, but that experience humbled me and made me much more of a team player.

The humbling I received my sophomore and junior years has prepared me to be a better coach. I can empathize with a player who is not getting the playing time he wants, and I can tell him that I have been in his shoes. Also, I make sure a lot of guys get reps at practice, because if you have earned the right to play, you deserve to be in the game.

Love your players, earn their respect, and BEST OF LUCK THIS YEAR!!


No comments:

Post a Comment