Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2017

Multiple Forms of Man to Man

My first job on the defensive side of the football was being a defensive coordinator and secondary coach! I was an offensive lineman in my playing days (high school and college) and my first two years of coaching high school football. A good friend of mine needed a defensive coordinator and he trusted me with the job without any experience (experience is OVER RATED). We had 8 defensive touchdowns that year (2011) and we gave up less than 200 yards per game using a 3-3 with a TON of country cover 3. 

I would like to think my defensive knowledge has dramatically increased since my first year as a defensive coordinator. However, the more I learn about defense, the more I believe in playing SIMPLE defense with man coverage in the secondary. Offenses are spreading the field and putting zone defenders in a TON of conflict. Using man to man is the best way to keep your defenders out of conflict and allowing them to play FAST (cover your DUDE). 

There are many ways to play man to man. You can blitz 6 and play cover 0 which is a great way to get pressure or you can play man to man with spy droppers underneath. I believe you should be able to mix and match your pressures and keep the coverage the same so your players can play FAST! I do not believe you can carry 10 different coverages, fronts and blitzes because you will be great at NONE of them. 

Below are some examples of how you can use cover 0 with a variety of fronts and blitzes:






I would love to collaborate with other coaches that use a lot of man to man in their defense. Please feel free to comment or email me with ideas. Thank you for reading and God bless!



5 comments:

  1. I totally agree, most coaches go for quantity over quality. Do a few things really well and you can adjust the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, most coaches go for quantity over quality. Do a few things really well and you can adjust the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in keeping it simple stupid. We run a 6-2 defense in most cases corners man on with one free safety and this is what players learn at the youth level. I feel at all levels this is the best way to run a defense. Individual Players seem to excel with something they are comfortable with. Visit me at http://blog.footballtrainingequipmentpro.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i so clearly, most coaches go for quantity over quality. Do a few things really well and you can adjust the rest. thanks for sharing

    Gclub
    บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  5. i so clearly, most coaches go for quantity over quality. Do a few things really well and you can adjust the rest. thanks for sharing

    Gclub
    บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete